Here are a few surprising and interesting facts I’ve come across.
- Brian May, the guitarist of Queen, one of the most popular bands of all time, also has a PhD in Astrophysics from the Imperial College and was the chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University. source
- The Elastic-Clasp Brassiere Strap used in women’s bras was invented by Mark Twain. source
- Physicist Brian Cox was also the keyboard player for the rock band Dare. source
- Mark Twain and Nikola Tesla were great friends and fan-boys of each other. source
- There’s an entire society of people who believe the Earth is flat. source
- There’s a person who claims to own the Moon. source
- People in the United States and Canada mistook a 1938 radio adaptation of H.G Wells’ The War of the Worlds to be fact and began fleeing their homes. source
- Richard Feynman played the bongo drums (you probably know this one, but anyway). source
- Richard Feynman was also an artist. He exhibited his work under the pseudonym “Ofey”. source
- Richard Feynman was also an expert on safe-cracking (dammit, is there anything Feynman hasn’t done? 😀 ). source
- Niels Bohr cancelled his honeymoon to write a paper on Quantum Mechanics. source
Here’s a video of Richard Feynman playing the bongo drums (I’ve also linked it as the source of fact #8):
My personal favourite is the fact that Mark Twain and Nikola Tesla (who are, in my opinion, two of the greatest people in history) were friends. One can only imagine what their discussion would have been like.
- The maiden name of astronaut Buzz Aldrin’s mother was Marion Moon.